Collection: Part 1

Reflection

<Structure&Surface> 10/10/17 Day4

Structure&Surface Day4

I finalized the design and made an actual model today. 

As for the final design, I decided to entangle three intricately twisted boards. The lowest shelf put it's right end on top of the middle board, which starts from right bottom to left top.  I really like how the final sketch turned out because it has many interesting shaped gaps in between the entangled boards, giving enough space for storing books. 

The 3d model making was quite challenging though. Twisting the acrylic plastic was not as easy as I expected because it hardened really quickly even after being in the oven. Also, I couldn't get the twist I want with the fixed rectangular shaped boards because the height was pretty high. I had to slim down the width of a certain section in order to give a twist. Another challenging part was that the oven was small for the width of my boards, so I had to cut the board in half and attach them later. I was able to make two boards today. The procedure was not the easiest, but I am happy with the outcome of the two boards. 

IMG_2601.JPG

<Structure&Surface> 4/10/17

Structure&Surface

We were introduced to numbers of properties of surface and structure. During the primary research, I realized how everything I use are made off of sides(faces), and how important the 'facetted' property is. Also, I found it really interesting how the products with 'folded' property create pretty accurate curvy lines. I was attracted to the words wavy, folded, and stretched, because I like to use flexible lines they create.

<Illuminate> 2/10/17

Illuminate Final

Since I failed on making metal hoops(which holds cups) with an aluminium wire, I thought of different ways. I found out that using a long aluminium wire and twisting them in between the cups works the best. I twisted the aluminium strings in a knot and made spaces for the cups, and connected six cups in between two pillars.

This method did hold the cups, but the wire bent because of the weight of the cups. I wanted the cups to horizontally hang straight in between the pillars, but the cups were heavier than I expected. I wanted to modify the string part, but didn't have enough time. Therefore, the final outcome was quite far from my expectation, due to the bending of wires. 

If I had more time and resources, I would use metal sticks with metal rings attached. I would make it more sturdy and use better material. However, I really do like the idea and the use of lights.

Screen Shot 2017-10-04 at 5.21.40 PM copy.jpg

nDSC00699.jpg.2

<Illuminate> 1/10/17

Illuminate Day4

My initial idea was to hang the glass cups(which serve as a vase) on the ceiling. However, I realized that this design was inefficient because it would be hard to take off the cups from high above and pour water in. Therefore I modified the design to a tall standing vase, in which the cups are connected in between the tall supporting sticks. The idea of standing vase was also inspired by the vase d'avril. I wanted the supporting sticks' height to be as tall as people's viewpoint, so that the reflection of the glass cups gets bigger. 

I went to the workshop to make the supporting sticks with wood. I cut the woods to about 65 inches and stuck them to cube shaped wood pieces, which I have made a hole in them. I thought the pillar would stand on the cube piece since the cube piece was sturdy and the hole was quite deep, but it didn't. I cut out bigger square shaped woods, and drilled them under the stick-supporting the whole stick. I made three supporting sticks in total. Making the sticks was a lot of fun, though it was quite challenging at the same time because it was my first time using an electric saw and other unfamiliar machines. 

I planned on making different sizes of metal hoops, which will fit each glass cup perfectly. I thought of connecting the metal hoops with tiny metal hoops, so that I could connect them in a straight horizontal line. I tried to make the hoop with an aluminium strings, because I thought they would be flexible but strong enough to hold the cups. However, it was really hard to even make a nice circular hoops with it. I have to think of different ways of connecting the cups. 

9/28/2017 <Illuminate>

Illuminate Day3

I did more research and idea thinking, and came up with few more ideas. One of the ideas was inspired by light rays and the lines they create. The lines of rays are long and curvy, which reminded me of the lines of aurora, the northern lights. I thought of designing a lighting that looks like an aurora, using thin and colorful strings. However, my tutor told me she liked the glass cup idea which I made in 3d yesterday, so I decided to carry on my initial idea.

I thought of using vintage glass bottles to make the design eco-friendly. For example, lighting made of green or brown beer glass bottle will be suitable at a bar or pub. For restaurants, I could use wine glasses or just regular glass cups. I really liked the concept of re-using the glass cups, but wanted to focus more on the property of light and the lines they create.

As I was developing the idea, the d'avril vase came up to my mind. The d'avril vase was on my wish list for a long time, so I was very familiar with it's design. The vase d'avril is a conjunction of long cylinder glass vase, which is aimed to put one flower in each vase. I thought of creating metal hoops for each cups and connecting them with smaller rings. After school, I went to a charity shops and bought 20 vintage class cups.

<Illuminate> 9/26/2017

Illuminate Day2

From the start of the project, I was interested in how light appears through reflection, refraction, and shadows, so decided to carry on this subject. As I did more research, I was attracted to artworks that make reflection of variety of colors. One of my favorite artworks was by Olafur Eliasson. His work consist of colorful reflection of lights. Also, I have always been a fan of Patricia Urquiola's Shimmer collection, which is a collection of shimmering furnitures that create beautiful rainbow reflection.

At first, I wanted to design something that signifies a sunlight. I wanted to use a material that would strongly reflect light without the use of a lightbulb. I sketched a conjunction of colored glasses in a geometric shape, that you put on the top corner of a room to create a reflection of sunlight. Another idea was a series of lamp with pattern engraved, so when they are lined up they create a piece of art made of shadows. 

I also wanted to create something that has a meaningful story behind it. I thought of this huge protest happened in South Korea last winter, about the president's resignation. It was called the 'candlelight vigil' because over 2.5 million people brought a little candle with them and filled the roads with bright candlelight at night. This reminded me of a power of light, and wanted to express how a little candlelight can brighten up the whole city when they are gathered together. I thought that a puzzle had a similar meaning, in which a piece of puzzle could be nothing but when they are gathered together it becomes one picture. I sketched pieces of puzzle made of mirror, which will reflect the view and light.

<Illuminate> 25/9/17

Illuminate Day1

We are able to see everything around because there is light that reflects the colours. Since light is everywhere day and night, we forget the importance of it. I thought this project will be so interesting to use and play with the properties of light to create a product.

We met at KX campus to capture and sketch the features of light, such as it's form, line, and movement. However, I was worried because it was very cloudy today, and I couldn't see any sunlight. I focused on relatively dark areas where I could grasp the existence of light more clearly, such as a black wall and ceiling with a window. As I was observing the light around the building, I got intrigued with the shadows because they really helped to detect the shape and form of light. Some of the shadow even looked like an artwork that changes its form and shape every second. 

Next, we moved the location to King's Cross station. I found out that the station was built by the company John MacAslan, who is famous for restoring the old building with new form. The ceiling of the station was amusing, in which long white pillars criss crossed each other and created countless triangles. Also, the light changed its colours from normal fluorescent to purple and blue, making the whole atmosphere more futuristic. I sketched the pillars from ceiling that connected to the ground, focusing on the shadows they created. 

Sketching the light was definitely challenging, because they don't have exact shape or line. Drawing light was all about shading, sketching the shadows. I mostly used a marker and pencil to sketch, but I saw a student who used a highlighter to express light, which I thought was really clever.

When we got back to the school, we talked about characteristics of light and illumination. There were many ideas-from dim light and reflection to poetic and emotional. Since there are so many features that light carries, it's hard to choose which one to incorporate in my product.

9/21/2017 <Use It>

Use It

I was so excited when I saw the brief of this one day project because it was all about designing a chair, which is something I love to do. As we were shown with the examples of chair designs, it was really interesting how a chair design could alter in response to which setting it's in or who is the using the chair. Among the examples, my favorite had to be the DSW chair designed by Charles and Ray Eames. I have always loved Charles and Ray Eames designs because their designs deeply thought of every users, therefore very efficient, but simple and fun. 

During the primary research at school, I found this tall chair which we can easily sit on without bending our knees, which I thought was very ergonomic. I went outside and spotted several different sitting postures, from people sitting on a bench to sitting on a sofa. One thing I have noticed was that many people were crossing their legs when they were sitting. I thought of designing a chair that can prevent leg crossing and fix people's posture.

After sketching, we were given the model plan of the infamous chair designed by Robin Day, and had to design a chair inspired by it. I was interested in people's sitting posture, so decided to make a design that can fix and correct people's sitting posture. I simply designed a bar attached to a chair, which will prevent people from crossing their legs. Developing ideas from this bar, I thought that if people's knee parts are already high up, they wouldn't be able to cross their legs. So I designed a chair in which the edge of the sitting board elevates.

I also observed the relation between people's posture and shape of the chairs. I realized that both a human body and a chair are a connection of two rectangles. To be specific, Robin Day's chair is a conjunction two rectangles, one to sit on and the other to lean our back. In that sense, a human body could be divided in to an upper body part and a lower body part, and those parts are roughly shaped like a rectangle. Supporting the idea of connecting two rectangular shapes together, I thought of inserting on rectangle into the middle of the other rectangle. As I was developing the idea, I thought of rotating the chair into different angles. When the chair was 90 degrees rotated, the design was transferred into a table. Therefore, I sketched a chair with a shorter sitting board inserted in the middle of the longer backboard; In consequence, when it is 90 degrees rotated, the longer back board becomes a main board for a table, and the shorter sitting board becomes a small board shaped in the middle of the table. 

I made two 3D models of the chair- one when it is a served as a chair, and one when it is 90 degrees rotated and served as a table. I used wooden sticks and thick paper to create the 3D models. My final design came out to be quite different from Robin Day's chair, but I certainly got the inspiration from it. Through this project, I was able to realize, once again, that furniture is my most passionate area because it interests me the most.

9/19/2017 <Wear It>

Wear It

Before the project Wear It, I thought the word "wear" could only be applied to clothes, shoes, and accessories. During the project, I learned that any object that has a use on a body could be called "wearable". We were given three words, suspend, support, and surround, and had to create object that does such job on a body. 

Thinking of many ideas in short time was the most challenging part. We had about ten minutes to think of ten ideas regarding the words suspend, support, and surround. Usually, I like to spend enough time on researching and brainstorming before making an idea. Fast thinking definitely was a new challenge for me. 

For the word suspend, I thought of clothes hanger because they suspend clothes. I sketched an accessory shaped as clothes hanger, which could be worn as a hairband that connects down to neck and shoulder. 

Among the examples we saw, I was very interested in Daniel Widrig's work that supports shoulder in a way that fixes posture. I wanted to make something like a brace that can help people who have uncomfortable body parts. Therefore, for the word support, I sketched modernized body brace, an orthosis, and posture fixers. For example, I connected various shapes circles for the orthosis.

Naturally, I thought of a furniture that could be worn, since furniture is my biggest interest area. I thought of my grandmother who has trouble walking for a long time because of her uncomfortable legs. I wanted to design a chair that is very compact and simple that you can carry everywhere like a bag. It was obvious that the chair has to be folded in order to be compressed. I thought of a three dimensional shape with several faces. I decided to create a dodecahedron, a polyhedron with twelve flat faces. I found this outline guide for making a dodecahedron from internet, and used that as a plan. Before making the product in a real scale, I planned the sketch in a smaller scale. I sketched the floorplan on a big paper and cut it out. The size of the final outcome was actually perfect. When I folded it, it was a little bigger than my hand, which is perfect to carry around. I attached a string to the folded chair, so that people can wear it around like a bag. When the chair was unfolded, it was a perfect size for one person to sit on. 

If I were to make this in real life, I would use a firm but soft material, such as felt, so that it is easy to fold or unfold. Also, I would use a velcro for folding and unfolding the chair.

18/9/2017 <Build it>

Build It

As a group, we had to build a 3d model of space with given materials such as wood sticks and paper. Everyone was making trianglular shapes, so my group decided to bend the wood sticks to make a curved cylinder shaped building. However, the wood sticks did not bend so well, so we decided to just go with triangular shapes. We connected two triangular pyramids, in which one stands up right and the other faces down connected above the other. Next, we connected more wood sticks to make slanted pattern on the wall. This initial model looked simple but we definitely put lot of thoughts to it.

Then we were joined with another group to combine two models together. It was more complex than just attaching them together. Coincidentally, the other group's model also had a part of wall that had slanted pattern. We decided to use the slanted pattern as our work's concept and connected two models in a way the patterns were connected. Because of the inter-joining slanted patterns, the model looked so natural as if it was made like it from the beginning.

Next, we made walls with various textures. First we started simple using the property of tape, making a patterned wall with it. Then, we tried folding the papers like a paper fan, which I thought was kind of bulky and mismatching. Also, I made a wall with translucent double sided tape, and attached short wood sticks in a random pattern. To make that side of the wall more three dimensional, we attached more wood sticks like they were poking the wall.

After the work, we got to look around other students' works. I thought that my group's final model was complex enough, but I was surprised to see how other groups' works were more mixed up and perplex. I think my group's work looked less mixed up because there was a definite pattern which made the whole model look less complicated.

Before this project, I thought I had no interest in architecture whatsoever. However, this project was a great opportunity for me to get to know more about architecture and get interest in the area. I also realized how much effort and ideas are put in making an architectural model, even though they might look bulky and broad outside.

13/9/2017 <Ideas Factory>

Ideas Factory Day3

I kept on thinking of how to incorporate fur to the existing idea; and today as I was walking on the street, I saw the clouds in the sky, which reminded me of fur. The white flurry texture of clouds were very comparable to the texture of fur. Then I realized how clouds and utopia correlate in a metaphorical way-clouds are untouchable even though they seem like we could touch them, and utopia is unreachable though we think we could get there. I decided to incorporate fur as the clouds surrounding the never ending staircase.

Setting the concept as people walking up the Penrose staircase covered with clouds, we decided to make this an installation piece. However, we only had limited resources and time, so we just decided to draw a really nice sketch of the outcome.

As I was sketching, I realized that the staircase could be more complex. I overlapped three penrose staircases to make it seem more complicated and illusional. To express the process twist, I included twisted staircases. I sketched two twisted staircases as of they were connecting three triangular staircase. My teammate used illustrator to make the sketch more precise and exact.

If I could make this sketch in real installation art, it would be exhibited outdoor in a very big scale, and audiences would be able to physically experience it by going up the stairs. Light weight fur that looks like clouds would also be surrounding the staircase. People would have a feeling of going up to sky.

This was my first artwork to be working as a group, and I can definitely say that it was one of the most decent experience I've had. I was able to get information of fields I have never heard of, and share our ideas and develop them to another level. Now, I am actually looking forward for more group work.

12/9/2017 <Ideas Factory>

Ideas Factory Day2

After brainstorming each words, utopianism, fur, and twist, my group came up with the concept of people desiring for high standard things, such as fur and utopia. 

However, we thought this initial idea was pretty simple so developed it more. We brainstormed the word utopianism to  imagination, dream, and illusion. I really liked the concept of illusion for utopianism, since utopia is like a non-existing dream world full of perfection. From then, I searched for illusional artworks. I was able to find several interesting informations. One of the informations I learned was the impossible objects, which is one of the optical illusions. Also, I found an artist named M.C Escher. Most of Escher's paintings consisted a never ending staircase, which became a very important key to our idea. I thought that the never ending staircase was perfect for the word twist in my project.

At the library, I did more research about optical illusion, and discovered that the staircases drawn in Escher's paintings were called the Penrose Stairs. Penrose stairs, as known as Penrose triangle, is one of the impossible objects. I also got to learn about impossible objectsI wanted to express how people continually walk up on those impossible penrose staircase, dreaming of going to utopia, the non-existing world. 

The challenging part was to incorporate the texture fur into the staircase. We thought of attaching fur on a staircase, but it didn't make much sense. We will need to think more about the texture.

11/9/2017

Ideas Factory

My first day at CSM was full of unexpectedness. During the introduction class, we were told about reflection and research, the Workflow, how to develop ideas, and group working. I was already familiar with the 'research', which I have been doing for several years preparing my portfolio; however, reflection was something that I have never heard about. I thought that reflecting the work I have completed each day would be a great way to record and review my work process.

Next, the class was divided in half, and talked about the kinds of shoes to make smaller groups. I was not only surprised by the way they divided the group, but how diverse ideas came out from my peers. It got to my mind that the diversity and number of the students(which I was overwhelmed at first) could be really helpful for each other. Again we were divided into groups of three, given three unrelated words for our first project.

My group's words were Twist, Fur, and Utopianism; we started with brainstorming each words to find a connection. The brainstorming started off pretty simple. We thought of utopianism as a dream world where people desire to go. We were able to connect the sense of desire with fur, because people desire for luxury fashion. However, the word twist was quite miscellaneous and hard to incorporate. We thought of the twisted shapes, such as spirals and nods.

<Structure&Surface> 12/10/17 Day 5

Structure&Surface Final

I made the last top board of the bookshelf. Since I had to cut the board in half because it didn't fit in the oven, the final outcome didn't have a perfect edge. However, I liked how it turned out because the acrylic boards really looked like a flowing waves. The material made the outcome look more fragile and delicate. I thought that it could just serve as a sculpture piece at home or a lobby of an office or hotel. Also, the transparency of the acrylic made a really pretty shadows and reflection under light. However, I wish I could have enlarge the width and make more cleaner conjunction. As I worried, my friends told me that the piece would look nicer if it was made more cleanly made. However, they said they liked how the idea has developed and the design was pretty.

If this piece was made in real life, I would use another material with transparent acrylic for a fun twist. For example, I would use wood or bright colored metal in one fourth of a board. The size would be pretty big, taller than me. I think this piece would suit any place with modernized interior, especially at a living room or a fancy office. 

I really enjoyed this project, especially how I got to develop my idea from 2d to 3d. 

<Structure&Surface> 9/10/17

Structure&Surface Day3

I made another 3d model of the same design, but with different material-a translucent plastic sheet. I thought that the translucency of the material might make the model look more three dimensional and real like. The design definitely looked more modern and cleaner but it still looked as simple as the paper model; I realized that the problem was not the material but the flat surface, because I only gave two or three curves up and down like a simple wavy line.

I decided to give more complex twist to the flat boards of the bookshelf. With the research I did about the lines of the ocean waves, I incorporated different arcs and curves to them. Not only curving and twisting the board by itself but twisting the boards together.

I planned on making the actual model with a transparent acrylic plastic to express the transparency of ocean waves. Also, I wanted to add the fragile property to my product. I didn't have a perfect final sketch but decided to adventure with acrylic plastic at the workshop because I was afraid if the material would not work out as i expect. I had to melt the acrylic in the oven and twist it, but the procedure was hard and the outcome was not clean. 

<Structure&Surface> 5/10/17

Structure&Surface Day2

I decided to carry on the three properties wavy, stretched, and folded. As for the purpose of the product, I decided to design a functional product.

For the folded property, I sketched a furniture as if it was folded like an origami art. However, I thought it was too simple and boring. Literally for the wavy property, the first thing that came up to my mind was the ocean waves. I sketched several wavy lines, and I really liked the way it looked when the wavy lines were laid on top of each other. Overlapping waves created gaps in between each other, which reminded me of the shelves where I could put things on. I sketched a simple bookshelf in which wavy shelves overlap each other. With that design, I created a model with a paper. 

The model came out too simple, even though "simple" was the concept I tried to go with. Also, I couldn't really tell the property of a surface because it looked flat. I wanted to make it more 3d like real ocean waves.

<Illuminate> Final sketch

pp.jpg.1

<Illuminate> Model Making

Among the initial ideas, I chose the one about the refraction of a cup of water. I found this beautiful image of colored glass cup refracting the light. I really liked that image so I decided to create a lighting using colored glass cups.

I bought transparent and colored plastic cups and connected them in a curvy infinity line. The infinity line was inspired by the  by the outer surface of water when poured in a cup. When I put the plastics cup under light, it created really pretty shadows. I also poured water in the cups and the refraction was beautiful. I was satisfied with what I have created, but want to develop it more.

nIMG_2247.jpg.1

USE IT

USE IT

WEAR IT-sit on ver.

WEAR IT-folded&unfolded

BUILD IT-process3

BUILD IT-process2

IDEAS FACTORY-Final Sketch

IDEAS FACTORY-Brainstorm

Jessica Lee
12 September 2017, 12:19 AM
1 comment